Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oi!



Unreviewed, unmarketed, unstocked by any of the big book chains, unblogged about by me... yet Knickers In A Twist continues to be The Little British Slang Book That Could.

Now in it's FIFTH printing, the tiny tome confounds both myself and the world of publishing. Imagine what could be achieved if I really applied myself on a regular basis to this Brit-slang blogging lark! Actually, don't bother imagining. I'll tell you exactly what will happen. A few weeks' worth of updates and then a trickle that quickly dries up until I receive more dumbfounding news and the prospect of a sixth printing reminds me of this blog's existence. It'll be a fun and informative two weeks, though...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger learnfromluton said...

Hello Jonathan,
I'm from the US and I loved your book! But when you said that Americans call Toad in the Hole "Toad the Wet Sprocket", you were just joking, weren't you?

May 30, 2009 at 3:05 AM  
Blogger jonathan Bernstein said...

Let me check.... yes.

June 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Randal said...

Hi Jonathan,
I bought "Knickers in a Twist" from Chaucer's bookstore in Santa Barbara because I wanted to research British slang for a novel. The novel is set in America, but, oddly enough, it includes an cockney character who is a figure of my protagonist's imagination.

Thanks for writing the book I needed. Excellent, and very useful. Little did I suspect I would be so entertained while doing this research. I laughed out loud several times while reading it during a flight from Los Angeles to D.C.

However ... you didn't provide one of the slang expressions I was hoping to find. Is there a British equivalent for "dumping" someone -- i.e., ending a relationship?

Many thanks,
- Randal Jackson

August 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home